Sponsored by the HERTIAGE FUND.
What is Colorism?
“A prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, typically among people of the same ethnic or racial group.”
This taboo subject is a prominent issue within the black community. As of late, the notion of “why” it’s resided within the culture has been up for debate. With this event, we hope to continue the dialogue and create a forum where an open community conversation can take place.
We will be showing four short videos, after each one we will have a 20 – 25 minute discussion.
1. ‘Dark Girls’ perspective of Colorism
2. ‘Light Girls’ perspective of Colorism
3. Children’s perspective of the Color of People – CNN clip of Anderson Cooper interviewing children on their bias of race.
4. Lupita Nyong’o Essence Award Speech – where she shares her struggle with being a “Dark girl” and now seeing her Beauty.
All ages are welcome. Light Refreshments will be provided.
Columbus Black Beauty Business Venues will be set up after the event:
1. The Black Market: Nubian Beauty and Cosmetic Supply – Russia Johnson
2. StunnaFaceMakeup & We Three Kings Makeup Artist – Michelle King
Columbus Learning Center, 4555 Central Ave, Ste 2100, Columbus, Indiana 47203