WHO IS AARON WINSTON?
Aaron Winston is a 24 year old father and longshore worker who, was brutally beaten by Baltimore City Police at a night club inside of Power Plant Live on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016. His mother describes him as a good son and his father who is also a longshore worker is firmly supporting his son.
Winston was asking about a friend who was being ejected from
the club when police grabbed him in what was described by
some as a choke hold. He was then pushed onto the bar and
brutally thrown on the ground in what is commonly called a “take down”. As a result his arm was broken in three places and
rotator cuff torn from it’s socket. He required extensive surgery
including the placement of screws.
At the hospital, staff can testify that police referred to Winston as
a “thug” and made references to Freddie Gray. Police then left
him alone at the hospital and did not charge him until later after
realizing the extent of his injuries.
He was charged with two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of resisting arrest, failure to obey, obstructing and hindering, and disorderly conduct and was taken to Central Booking where he was denied any kind of pain medications in violation of international law. His family and supporters rallied outside the jail calling for his release. He was then released on his own recognizant and is awaiting trial.
WHAT DO WE WANT:
• We want the officers who brutalized Winston charged with assault, jailed and fired!
• We want all charges on Aaron Winston to be dropped immediately!
• Power Plant Live must release the security tapes to Winston’s attorney and family;
• We want to know if Power Plant Live have a history of racial profiling?
• Investigate Central Booking’s refusal to administer pain medicine.
• End racial profiling in the Inner Harbor!
• Stop the harassment of Black youth in downtown Baltimore!
YOU CAN HELP BY:
• Attending Aaron Winston’s trial appearances
• Picketing and boycotting Power Plant Live
• Protests outside Central Booking on the Medical Issue
• Attending meetings, signing petitions and helping us organize.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 410-500-2168 or 443-221-3775
Family of Aaron Winston, Peoples Power Assembly,
Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Balto.