Tony Cornish letter exposed a good deal of racist attitude towards people of color in his letter to the Star Tribune.
Minnesota State Rep. Tony Cornish sparked fury with his offensive letter about police brutality he has sent to the Star Tribune this week.
In his response to what can be done to reduce the use of force by police, Cornish suggested that one shouldn’t be a ‘thug’, which is nothing short of a racial slur he used to refer to Black people or people of color.
That’s what, according to Cornish, needs to be done to stop police who brutalize citizens on daily basis:
“1) Don’t be a thug and lead a life of crime so that you come into frequent contact with police.
2) Don’t rob people, don’t use or sell drugs, and don’t beat up your significant other.
3) Don’t hang out on the street after 2 a.m. Go home.
4) Don’t make furtive movements or keep your hands in your pockets if told to take them out.
5) Don’t flap your jaws when the police arrive. Don’t disobey the requests of the police at the time. If you think you are wrongfully treated, make the complaint later.
6) Don’t use the excuse of a lack of a job or education for why you assault, rob or kill.”
Cornish says that we have to comply with everything police will tell us to do. However, he failed to mention quite a large part of what police shouldn’t do either.
Well, that’s what we suggest first:
1) Don’t raid on wrong houses, don’t break down our doors and don’t frighten our families. We want to stay safe in our homes.
2) Don’t make racist and unlawful arrests, don’t pepper spray, don’t hit and wrestle us to the ground for no reason.
3) Don’t carry out unreasonable searches and seizures.
4) Don’t treat our kids as terror suspects. Stop arresting them and marching out of their schools in handcuffs.
5) Don’t rape and attack our women. They are defenseless.
6) DON’T BE THUGS YOURSELVES
Can we count endlessly and never ever come to an end? Yes, we can.
It’s clear that Tony Cornish tends to defend the actions of the officers involved in the violent encounters with Black people instead of offering a solution that would help. We can’t count on him to tame the police.
Share this article and help to fight against police brutality.